Shifter base for T56 forward conversion using McLeod mid-shift socket - NO OTHERS!
WARNING: Do NOT buy this base unless you have a McLeod receptacle (gold color); NO other sources are compatible with this base!! READ CAREFULLY!
*** The required receptacle - which we do not sell - is difficult to obtain. Contact McLeod direct - nobody else sells it. Buy and install the McLeod receptacle BEFORE you buy a shifter. Rebuild shops are trying to pass off OEM parts as interchangeable but they lack the horizontal detent and are NOT compatible with this base!! NO amount of mods will make this true. Look at your receptacle and COMPARE to the second pic BEFORE you buy!! ***
Shifter base for custom installations using a T56 transmission with forward conversion adapter from McLeod (# 82-1001 - buy direct from McLeod) or Keisler / SilverSport (stamped # TRA-00104, not sold alone). OEM forward port receptacles are NOT compatible! T56 donor vehicles include:
- 1993-2002 Camaro / Firebird
- 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
- 2005-2006 Chevy SSR truck
- 2000 Mustang Cobra R
- 2003-2004 Mustang SVT Cobra
- 1992-2006 Dodge Viper
- 2004-2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10
- 2004-2008 Ford Falcon & FPV BA-BF (Australian)
- 1994-1997 Holden HSV VR & VS (Australian)
- 1998-2008 Holden Commodore VT-VZ (Australian)
- 2001-2006 Holden Monaro V2/VZ (Australian)
- Forward port location only
- This base does NOT FIT at OE tail location - see separate listings
- NOT FOR USE IN ANY OF THESE CARS! Only for custom conversions!
- For these vehicles, see complete kits where available
- REQUIRES McLeod adapter # 82-1001 (NOT INCLUDED) - transmission must be disassembled to install!
- Also fits Keisler / SilverSport conversion (they do not sell adapter alone but their base is only meant for a short stick...)
- Cover plate for tail location optional for $10 more, specify model
- WARNING: CTS-V linkage parts DO NOT work in any other T56 due to changes in detent architecture + this base is not compatible (different stub depth)!
- Confirm this forward position will work for you - shifter stick will come through floor directly above linkage cover!
- Does NOT FIT ANY TR6060 - see the TR6060 base
- Does NOT FIT 2004-07 Cadillac CTS-V T56 - see the TR6060 base
- Does NOT FIT Tremec aftermarket Magnum transmissions - see separate listing
This base mounts on a 4-bolt pattern that is ~ 2.88" wide x 3.65" long; stub pivot ball center is ~1.3" below the flange. It only fits in forward location; for tail location bases, see separate listings - these vary by model - T56 shifters are NOT universal!
A Hurst stick is required (sold separately). Other brands and homemade sticks are discouraged. Stick mount has 3/8"-24 threaded holes spaced 7/8" apart on center + mating serrations for a Hurst stick on one face. Due to larger mounting threads (3/8"-24), sticks that use 8mm mounting bolts (most OE, "non-TKO" Lokar, others) will not work. Lokar TKO sticks can be mounted but only to the smooth side of the stub. To select the proper parts:
- Wait until new transmission is installed to buy shifter parts
- Remove existing shifter base if present
- Sit in vehicle, in driving position, with all interior trim (dash, console, etc) in place
- Define desired knob location in space (neutral position):
- Measure height from base flange to desired knob location = overall height
- Measure side & rear offsets from receptacle bore to desired knob location
- See this diagram for clarification
- Study the Hurst stick page for shapes that meet your needs
- Allow 3-6" for stick mount height
- Choose a stick and see what fulcrum heights are compatible with it (see chart)
- Check overall height (see chart: stick height + mount height = overall height)
- Confirm chosen combination achieves desired knob location and that fulcrum height works with stick length selected
- Consider various stick & stub combinations to optimize
- Note long sticks on angled mounts will strongly offset knob to left (can be 5-6"+)
- Note OE dust boot is short and exposes stick mount which helps in tight situations
- Options E & F require a Hurst stick directly mounted on side w/ serrations
Stub fulcrum height options (critical to optimizing leverage for short throw):
|Option||For stick length||stick mount height||stick mount angle||boot type||upcharge|
|D||12"+||5.3||angled 14 deg left||OE (short)||+$30|
|G||6"||3.4||angled 11 deg left||OE (short)||+$10|
- Stick length = point-to-point distance from mount hole to knob thread
- Stick mount height = distance from base flange to stick bolt hole (affects knob height)
- Fulcrum height = distance from lower ball to fulcrum pin; varies by option, not published
- Warning: Follow stick length guide to avoid excess effort & component failure
Kit includes mounting hardware, dust cover boot, and instructions. The base is built by Core Shifters using proven Hurst Billet Plus components inside a custom housing. It does not have stops and does not need them; all modern internal rail trans have internal stops. This kit has many superior features & components, integrated into a unique, exclusive assembly:
- Forged heat-treated billet steel gear selector stub
- Hardened steel cross-pin & stainless steel fulcrum pivot ring
- Self-centering cross-gate bias springs with heat treated spring seats
- Glass-reinforced polyamide fulcrum socket with steel wear clips
- Rubber oil control seal with steel retaining ring
- Extruded aluminum housing with Spirolox steel support ring
- Zinc-plated laser-cut steel base-plate & cover
- Vibration-resistant serrated flange head steel retaining bolts
- Rubber dust cover boot (style varies)
- High quality & outstanding value!
We Also Recommend