Links to bases are at bottom; read ENTIRE page first!
Background: There are two ways to approach a swap - you can either spend $$$ on an aftermarket trans with offset shifter that fits your console perfectly but doesn't have a short throw - or you can buy a used OE trans and with some effort (and maybe a new console) get a better result at a lower cost. We offer straight-stub swap bases for most RWD 5 & 6 speeds and unlike the custom guys, we offer multiple fulcrum heights so you can actually get a short throw with any stick length - at a reasonable price. This direct-fit (straight stub) approach is simple and works great, but often requires floor and console mods.
Core Shifters' swap bases for custom (non-OE) conversions:
- Designed & assembled in-house by Core Shifters
- NOT for OEM replacement in original applications - see complete kits
- Hurst stick required (sold separately). Other brands do not fit properly; homemade sticks lack material integrity. Never use a welded, bent, or modified stick as this creates a weak spot which can lead to catastrophic failure. Stick mount has 3/8"-24 threaded holes spaced 7/8" apart on center; sticks that use 8mm mounting bolts (most OE, "non-TKO" Lokar, others) will NOT work. The stick mount also has mating serrations for a Hurst stick on one face; only Hurst sticks have these mating serrations. Lokar TKO sticks have 3/8" holes and can be mounted but only to the smooth side of the stub and will need to be glued in place to avoid loosening... do it right, buy a Hurst stick
- Stick must be directly mounted onto stub; these bases are not appropriate for use in offset or remote assemblies. If you need a remote linkage, you chose the wrong transmission. These types of shifters are best left to the OEMs as doing it right (and safely) is very expensive and requires a transmission designed for this purpose. It is cheaper, safer, and easier to choose a different transmission that better suits your needs directly, or find an OE configuration that fits (e.g. 2004-2006 GTO, 2005+ Mustang, 2009+ Challenger, 2010+ Camaro)
- Proper leverage requires matching stick length with base fulcrum height. No base is "short throw" by itself. The stick and stub together form a lever; if you want that lever to have a short throw, buy parts that work together. Excess leverage can also lead to component failure
- Choose the stick and base together after the swap is done, when you can sit in the vehicle - these parts are not needed until that point and should not be purchased until then; DO NOT buy a base until you can also determine the stick! If you can't do that yet, come back when you can
- Focus on choosing a stick and base that together achieve your desired knob location in space. Do not focus on the stick alone. Consider the height and shape of the overall assembly
How to choose the right parts for your custom swap:
NOTE: shifter bases are built to order and take 1-2 WEEKS to ship!
Click on transmission type & look for your exact model (donor vehicle):
- T4 & T5
- Tremec aftermarket (Magnum, TKO, TKX)
- C5 / C6 / C7 Corvette driveline (torque tube / rear transaxle)
- AR5 (Colorado only)
- Nissan FS5W71C
- Nissan FS6R30A
- NP A535
For non-OE installations only; for OE replacement see the complete kits instead. Direct-mount Hurst stick required - NOT for remote linkages, NOT for homemade sticks